The Blessing Closet
I needed clothes and you clothed me….When did we see you a stranger and invite you in or needing clothes and clothe you? The King will reply ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers, you did for Me’ Matthew 35:36
The Blessing Closet ministry is called to touch lives and demonstrate God’s love in a practical way by loving all people, illustrating the gift of giving, sharing the good news, welcoming those who seek, and serving others. This is one of many gap ministries in the Buffalo community that work in cooperation with Love INC-Big Woods, and involves many Zion members in being ‘the hands and feet of Jesus’ in our community.
This ministry collects, sorts, and distributes new and slightly used clothes, free of charge, to kids and their parents who are in need of help. Everyone is welcome … no questions, requirements or limits.
- The first quarterly distribution of Zion’s Blessing Closet was in August of 2015. To date we have served 1,700 families with 4,000 kids that received 57,000 items of clothing. During these distributions, we were able to partner with other non-profits by giving away bikes, books, school supplies, coats, and holiday baskets. We have experienced tremendous support from Zion’s staff and congregation members with clothing donations, financial support to build a Blessing Closet storage facility, and many volunteer hours from over 72 volunteers. As we go forward in 2018, the goal is to ... more
- A big thank you to those who supported and contributed to the Planting the Seeds of our Legacy 150th Anniversary missions campaign! Along with other donors, and the many skillful and wonderful volunteers, we have succeeded in bringing the Blessings Closet building to near completion! The dream of providing free clothing for children of all ages began in 2015 as a gap ministry to provide a service that is not covered by any community organization. Zion’s Social Ministry Committee introduced this concept and overwhelming congregational support helped developed the idea into ... more
- I grew up in North Dakota and enjoyed the wide open prairies and blue skies. Yes, and also the crisp cold winters in Grand Forks, North Dakota where I went to the University of North Dakota for four years, and graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing. My husband, Lew is also a native of North Dakota. He also attended and graduated from UND, receiving a Bachelor’s degree in elementary education. During our first year of marriage, we lived just a few blocks off campus in a small ... more
Donations of suitable clothing items are accepted on Wednesdays 12-7pm at Zion.
- All donations should be new or slightly used, clean and washed clothing
- Donation receipts will be provided upon request.
- Receive donations
- Sort, wash, mend, and store items at Zion.
- Set up, greet guests, and ‘shop’ with the kids on distribution days.
Contact Roger & Sandy Brenny with questions.
- February 21, 2018
- Blessing Clothing Closet Collection