Meals on Wheels provides volunteers to deliver nutritious meals to people in the community to help them live independently. Zion supports Meals on Wheels by providing four drivers each weekday of June and November to deliver meals. We occasionally provide one driver in other months to help smaller congregations fill out the schedule.
Tips for Volunteer Drivers
- Consider which days you can help and sign up online or at the information desk.
- If you prefer a certain route, please specify that when you sign up.
- If you’re unsure about delivery locations in Buffalo contact Sherilyn Burgdorf in the church office … we will find a time to do a “test drive” or find a partner for your first drive.
- Be at Buffalo Community Center (206 Central Ave, across from the Post Office) at 11:30am on your deliver day. There’s always plenty of space to park in the lot behind the community center.
- Delivery will take about an hour
- Especially during the summer (June), this is a great family project with children/grandchildren.
Meals on Wheels Volunteers
- Mary Lynn grew up on a farm near Hector, MN. She attended a rural congregation, Swedlanda Lutheran Church, where Christmas Eve services were still held in Swedish. She was baptized, confirmed and married at that church. That church was the foundation of my Lutheran beliefs. My parents were devout Lutherans and lived a life of faith and goodness. Their parents were all Swedish immigrants. Our family life was centered in that church. Sunday school, Junior Mission Band, Confirmation, Luther League and ... more
- My husband, Ryan, and I joined Zion in 2012, as we were looking for a church where we could raise a family. We loved the traditional sermons and the positive presence Zion has in the community. I enjoy seeing all the volunteer opportunities in the Sunday bulletin and, pregnant at the time, was super excited to finally have the time to give back. That was the first year I did Meals on Wheels. I signed up to do a delivery every weekday that November. It was so easy, just smile and ... more