Legacy Mission Campaign
Update: Total raised = $50506.49!!
Legacy can be defined as: anything handed down from the past; a situation set up for the benefit of descendants; or how a person (or group) will be remembered by others.
So—what is Zion’s legacy? How do we as a church family want to be remembered in the future? What are we doing to benefit future generations?
Having just celebrated Zion’s 150th anniversary, it seems a good time to be looking at Zion’s legacy, and especially how we can positively impact children—our future leaders. The Planting Seeds of Our Legacy mission campaign is underway and will run into May 2017. The campaign’s goal is to raise $50,000 to support three local, synod and global mission projects to benefit children: The Blessing Closet, Homework Helps and All Kids Can Learn International, School of Hope library in Zambia, Africa.Karen Mattson
- The Blessing Closet is a Zion ministry serving people in Buffalo and area communities by distributing free clothing to children and families in need. Current storage for donated clothing at Zion is overflowing and there is an immediate need for more space.
- House of Grace is a new ELCA congregation in Montrose uniquely positioned to minister to the community through Grace Place, a family ministry center. We will support them in launching Homework Helps, an after-school program for local elementary students.
- Our Global Mission partner, All Kids Can Learn International, in Zambia, Africa is an orphanage and school in need of a library. Our goal is to build a library for their pre-K through college students to be ready for the 2018 school year.
- Planting Seeds of Our Legacy Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the Planting the Seeds of Our Legacy campaign, and making this important opportunity a reality! As of Easter, we had reached $34,261 of our $50,000 goal, and updated totals can be found here. Some very exciting things have been happening with each of the three projects that aim to make a difference in the lives of children both locally and globally: School of Hope Library in Zambia The Zion Sunday School’s ... more
- If there is ever a time to celebrate, I think turning 150 would be it. But how to celebrate properly? We spent the last year looking back and reminiscing about where we’ve been and where we are headed. I hope you’ve had a good time in the process, I know I have. Between concerts and brunches and commissioned musical arrangements, we celebrated in true Lutheran style. But when you turn 150, you tend to be a little wiser and have ... more
- House of Grace, the new ELCA congregation in Montrose, is uniquely positioned to minister to the community through Grace Place, a family ministry center. They are launching Homework Helps, an after-school program for local elementary students to help them succeed. Pastor Kimberly Buffie has begun working with the principal of Montrose Elementary school to design a program to assist teachers and students by making sure kids in the program finish their homework assignments. The kids will have a safe space to gather, ... more
- The Blessing Closet is one of the newest Social Ministry Missions at Zion. This ministry collects, sorts, and distributes new and slightly used clothes, free of charge, to kids and their parents who are in need of help. Everyone is welcome … no questions, requirements or limits. To start this Mission, Zion provided one-half of the closet in Trinity Hall to store clothing donations from the congregation. The first distribution was held in August of 2015, and the program has since grown ... more
Prayerfully consider your monetary support of the Legacy campaign.
Each week we are hoping to see an increase of about $4,000. If that continues, through May 7 we will have raised our goal of $50,000.
(click on Give Now and select Legacy Mission Campaign Donation from the drop down box.)
You may also use a “Planting Seeds of Our Legacy” envelope which will be mailed to members and attenders (also available in the pew racks, and at the information desk February 12-May 7).
There are additional ways to be involved in this Legacy Campaign:
- Pray for these three ministries, and the people who minister through them and those who are served by them.
- Volunteer your time and talents by:
- tutoring/mentoring students at Homework Helps
- assisting in the construction of the new Blessing Closet storage building
- traveling to Zambia to help build the library at the School of Hope in August or September 2017
These are exciting ministries which can help us live Zion’s mission to “Share Christ’s Word, Strengthen Faith, and Serve Those In Need.”
Throughout the campaign we will be tracking and displaying our progress to our $50,000 goal on a kiosk in the narthex.
Planting Seeds of Our Legacy Committee: Pastor Ted, Pastor Luke, Roger and Sandy Brenny, Steve Peterson, Karron Denk, Karen Mattson, Lew and Marian Hille, Josie LaFave, Minda Squadroni, Daryl Engwall.