Baptisms at Zion
Gracious God you sent your own Son into this world as the child of Mary and Joseph. We thank you for the life of this child, entrusted to our care. Help us to remember that we are all your children, and so to love and nurture her/him that she/he may attain to that full stature intended for her/him in your eternal kingdom; for the sake of Jesus Christ, your Son and our Lord. Amen
From the Lutheran Book of WorshipFrom the Lutheran Book of Worship
At Zion, we lift up the gift of Baptism within the community of faith. We rejoice in baptizing people of all ages and we promise to support and partner with you as you or your child grow in faith. Some parents who have family in the area come “home” to Zion even though they worship in another faith community. You need not be a current member of Zion to be baptized, but since being involved in a community of faith is part of the baptismal promises, please let us know where you are currently active in worship. Also, infants and children baptized at Zion are considered members of Zion whether their family is or not.
There are two steps to planning a baptism at Zion
1. Attend a Baptism Class
Zion offers a class for new or prospective parents wishing to schedule a baptism at Zion. These classes are usually offered on the second Sunday of even months.
- Anyone wishing to schedule a baptism is asked to attend a class prior to the date of the baptism.
- One or both parents should attend the class, sponsors and grandparents are also welcome. Expectant parents as well as those who already are parents may attend the class.
- If you have already taken Zion’s baptism class in the past, you do not have to attend again
2. Schedule a Baptism Date
This information is required from all families planning a baptism at Zion. Please submit at least two weeks prior to the baptism date you are requesting, preferably at or after your baptism class. You will receive a confirmation of the date and time.
- Normally baptisms take place when Communion is not part of the worship service, in order to keep the services as close to an hour in length as possible without sacrificing any of its components (currently, Communion is part of the service on the 1st week of the month, so baptisms can be scheduled on the 2nd / 3rd / 4th / 5th weeks).
While exceptions are possible in special circumstances, baptisms will normally take place in the context of a worship service, rather than being held privately.
There may or may not be other baptisms at the same worship service
- Once you have picked a date, fill out the family information form which includes information for the bulletin and Zion’s permanent records.
Please don’t send out invitations until you receive confirmation of your date and time from the church office.